Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Place I am Staying in Dinant


Dinant (pronounced Din-Ahh) is a small village on the Belgium/French border that I know very little about. I discovered it through google because it was on several of those "best kept secrets of Belgium" lists - so here I am ready to check it out.
Living room

Upon arriving our host picked us up at the train station and drove us to their home where I am staying in a private bedroom, which means we share the common space such as this living room. I LOVE this living room. I noticed the textiles on the couch immediately as they looked very much like the Hmong blankets I bought in Vietnam last year. Turns out - they got theirs from the Hmong in Thailand! Their home is filled with trinkets from across the world - just point to a souvenir and ask them its story. They have also been to South Africa and Nepal - two places that are high on my list so maybe at some point during our stay I can ask them more about that.


Garden

 Another thing I love about this place is the garden. This was a point of pride for our hosts - they showed us their raspberry and currant bushes in addition to the bird feeders they had recently put up. They shared how they used to live in Brussels for many years but desired a different life and moved out here 2 years ago.

Tomorrow evening, if it doesn't rain, I'm hoping to hang out in the garden, drink a beer, and maybe read.

If you want more details about the place we are staying, you can see their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment