Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Train into Amsterdam

After stepping off the plane in Amsterdam, picture after picture in the airport was not of tulips - but rather of the Dutch's engineering accomplishments - bridges, canals, windmills etc. This is not surprising considering the Dutch have the best engineering university in the world, and every monarch that has ruled over them has had the equivalent of a Masters in Mechanical Engineering.  The Dutch, the master designers of people and systems, have created locks, canals, renewable energy sources, and walk/bike-able cities. They want the movement of their day to day business and leisure to be easy. This is a value I have learned to deeply appreciate and even envy as one could make the strong argument that New York City is exactly the opposite - you have to work for every single movement you make around its 5 boroughs. I was looking forward to an easy commute from the airport into the city of Amsterdam.

"The trains are delayed, due to signal malfunctions," the train ticketer told me as I inquired about a train ticket from the airport to the Jordaan neighborhood in Amsterdam.

***


Since I live in NYC train delays have unfortunately become part of my daily life, which means that I'm used to waiting for 20-30 minutes just to see if the train will show up once the delay is announced. This creates the all too familiar dilemma of "calculating" subway probabilities as sweat causally drips down my back as I stand on the sweltering subway platform. Do I leave the station and walk 15 minutes to a different line in hopes that I can catch a different train that will vaguely get me to the place I want to be? Do I bite the bullet and pay the expense for a cab?  Do I stand here and watch the crowds of people and rats grow while the humidity raises in proportion to the crowd's train anxiety? Or do I decide none of this is worth it, cancel my plans and go back home? Ahh yes the subway has been particularly bad this spring/summer. So bad in fact, that the New York Times has called it "The summer of Hell." The subway leaves much to be desired.

***


"They haven't canceled this train yet, it is supposed to arrive in 20 minutes - but everything is delayed in the system - even the trains to the city central, but we can still try if you want. I hope this works" she apologized.

I decide to give it a go anyway. I mean HOW bad can it be - I'm comparing it to the NYC subway system. I can wait an extra 45 minutes if I need to and I have my book with me anyway. It's *almost* like I never left New York.


What I soon learn is that when the Dutch mean "delays on multiple lines" what they really mean is they had to cancel 2 trains, which were clearly marked on the overhead electronic board. So instead of waiting the typical 5 minutes you had to wait 20 - no biggie. Hanging out on the platform with my Starbucks coffee to keep me going for what will most likely be a 36 hour day, two employees on the platform made regular announcements in Dutch and English. They managed the growing crowds expectations like professionals as they showed the people how to line up to disperse them evenly among expected train cars. This is unusual I thought to myself, in NYC nobody tells nobody what's going on and people on the platform are left to guess and fight for their space, usually with swear words not directed at other people but the subway at large. And - there's always that ONE person who is so much better at publicly cursing out the subway you feel you should give them a round of applause because they so well articulate what you feel and know to be true. No such drama of that sort here in the Amsterdam train station.

AND then.... Our train arrived on time.

Thirty minutes and 5 euros later I was at the door of the apartment that I will stay at for the next two days. Umm....... Can we integrate some of that magic Dutch engineering into the NYC subway system please? 

No comments:

Post a Comment